Recent Thoughts

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

A Matter Of Trust

It’s been an interesting week. I’ve been having several long conversations with Puff about my past thoughts and she completely believes that I’ll be able to get and hold on to a girl. This doesn’t necessarily mean that she’s right but it’s nice to know someone has faith in me.

I’ve had a great “Reading Week” so far. Sure, I’ve been getting some work done but the past few days have been amazing. I spent Friday working on a stupid computer program about calculations on fractions. Thanks to “Banana Man” for a lot of help on that one. Funny part is that my program turned out to be way shorter than his. Woke up late on Saturday and let the day pass quickly. Got the gang to gather in my room and mess around for hours. A friend from York came over to spend the night. I talked to “Uber-bachi” at breakfast the next day. In the afternoon, my friend from York and “Hyper Dude” left for Mississauga. They wanted me to go with them but I kind of had plans. Studying was there on the agenda but so was a lot of messing around too. On Sunday, my roommate left so I had the whole room to myself. It’s such a good feeling. I took his computer chair too… It’s so comfortable. I also spent my time watching Counter-Strike recordings of a match of the ages between “Banana Man” and me versus the other four. The videos were hilarious and I enjoyed them thoroughly. On Monday, “Artsie” was gone all day to study at a library but on his return, we went for supper and then got ready to watch Johnny English. Movie time kept getting delayed but we eventually went down to watch it at 9 PM. The movie is fairly dumb but entertaining nonetheless. Sound was horrible in the beginning but all was well later on. That was not the end of the day and I went to sleep around 4 PM. Somewhere between “Artsie’s” return and the movie-watching, he and I had a long amusing talk. Thanks for the help buddy. I appreciate it.

“Artsie” spent his day at the library again. I talked to “Midas” for a bit too. She’s helping me in a rather sensitive area. I still don’t know what her exact take on my situation is but I’m going to trust her on this one and let her take the reins. Of course, I’m not going to change just because she asked me to. I want to have a good look at what she’s offering and what other people have to offer. At the end of it all, I’ll consider the best option and act accordingly. “Hyper Dude” came back. He tried something new with his hair and I did something different with mine. Neither of us was pleased with the results. I’m tempted to try doing what he did. I don’t know how good the results would be but I don’t want to pass up something because it’s daunting. Oh! I didn’t make fun of “Hyper Dude” in my last chapter and I’m not going to say anything right now either except for “Nice robes!” I think the first words out of my mouth when I saw him were something alone the lines of “What the hell are you wearing?!?” I finally managed to introduce him to “Uber-bachi” He was a bit worried as to how he may have come off but I’m sure his words weren’t noticed as much as his robes.

The university network is an amazing place to get the stuff that I need. Of course, the chat window is a complete waste of space. However, an extraordinary number of people take to chatting there. Recently, I’ve taken great pleasure to mocking these people and making a lot of fun of them. It’s like a bully surrounded by nerds. I’ve met a few interesting people on there too. Alex is certainly interesting. Alex reminds me of “Sis”. Same way of sulking when insulted or mocked. Together, the two of us have ganged up on several people who were just begging to be made fun of. I’ve started off a lot more smoothly with Alex than I did with “Sis”. I guess I learnt my lessons. Thanks “Sis”.

Half of my reading week has already passed. I’ve got so much more to do. I was hoping for so much more. However, this week’s already given me all that I wanted.

I want to go skating but I don’t have skates. I could rent skates but I don’t know about that. I think that buying them would be a good investment seeing how I would be here for four years. It’s up to my parents to decide whether I can have them or not. It’s funny how I’m so independent here but even my independency relies on my dependency on my parents and them financing me.

There have been only three people who can make me laugh uncontrollably ever since I entered my dull and serious state. Alex has quickly risen amongst the ranks. Another is “Punchoo”. I haven’t managed to talk to her in a long time but I know that once we meet up in Dubai, our conversations will be just as hilarious as before. “Puff” has her funny moments but in her own words, she makes others pessimistic. I’m just kidding with ya, “Puff”. You’re also a funny person. The third position goes to “Sabbi”. Sabbi is certainly a refreshing change. Being a cousin of my age, it’s so easy to talk to her and joke around. She says that I’m really good at helping her with her problems. Well, I don’t know about that but I know that she’s better than I am. Only she has problems more often and sometimes, it takes the viewpoint of an outsider to see the solution. However, Sabbi has got a sense of humour which can keep me in stitches. I just need to work on her sarcasm and then she and I would have classic insult battles. Of course, I would not like to make her sarcastic as it appears that sarcasm is not appreciated much by others. If I’m to be damned to bachelorhood because of my sarcasm, I don’t want her to be condemned to spinsterhood for being sarcastic.

My uncles and aunts have often told me that they appreciate how I help their kids and give them advice. They say that the cousins look up to me and value my advice. Well, I’m honoured that the parents think that I’ve helped their child. However, I do not think that I ever gave solutions. I would give advice and let the kid decide what to do. Also, I’m not sure whether I would like my cousins looking up to me. I’m not the best role model and I would not like my faults to echo in their characters. What if the advice I give is wrong? I don’t like nosing around in other people’s business, but I always help if I’m asked. However, to have a multitude of kids relying on me to help solve the problems that they can’t go to their parents with is kind of awing. I realise that it’s a great responsibility and I’m not going to turn them away but I do wonder whether the kids themselves think that I’ve helped them and given them good advice. The parents might think so but they probably don’t have a proper grasp of their kid’s situation.

Every parent tells their kid to talk to them if the kid has any problems. That hardly ever happens. Too many problems are too sensitive to be talked about with parents. I don’t think kids ever bothered finding out whether their parents will understand but just worried about the scolding/beating that they could get. Therefore, they turn to close friends for help. I’m honoured at being trusted by so many people with their intimate problems and I really think that I should trust them as much as they do me. Of course, that’s not going to happen! They are a bunch of loud-mouthed, talkative and gossipy brats who would spill a secret faster than a leaky pot of water. (Hi guys!) Bad comparison but whatever. Anyhow, I don’t have any secrets. Well, none that I can reveal to a single soul in the world. *Evil Smirk*

I guess that’s pretty much it. A couple of relatively short chapters for those who have grown weary of sifting through my rambles.