Recent Thoughts

Friday, December 17, 2004

Enlivened

I’ve finally been able to talk to “Puff” after a long time. It’s amazing being able to do that again after such a long hiatus. She definitely brings out a softer side in me which is what I think everyone else is looking for as well. So no matter what other people might say about my friendship with her, I think no one can deny that she’s definitely a good influence.

Something that went through my head as I talked to her reminded me of the movie “I Robot”. At the time of the movie, I didn’t think much of it though it was a novel concept but after talking to “Puff”, it struck me again. Sometimes, it’s not a matter of finding the answer; it’s asking the right question. Asking the right question can open up the door to the best answers (The examiners at U of T would do well to learn this lesson!)

I’m not sure what it is that people try to attain when they ‘search for the answers’. I’m not sure what it is that “Banana Man” is looking for but he talks about his search so often in his blog, that I honestly believe that there is something to attain and that hopefully he’ll reach it. Whether or not the result will be worth the effort is not relevant… it’s the journey itself that amounts to a result.

I think that before I should even attempt to comprehend any hints or clues to the ‘answer’, I need to understand the question and that will guide me to learning what it really is that I want answered. So, I’m no longer looking for the answer. I’m looking for the question. “That… is the right question.”

Yet, to act on such ideas is not something too appealing to me since it is too philosophic and I rather take life as it comes instead of understanding it. It all goes hand-in-hand with my hatred of routine.

For as long as I do not understand life, I remain under the impression that every day brings something new (if I remove the rigours of university life, that is). Isn’t that what living is all about? Taking things as they come.

“Powerpuff” mentioned that it’s funny how we associate songs with certain periods of our lives. I don’t completely agree with that but there are songs for every occasion so I would quantify her remark by saying that we associate songs with certain events/moods in our lives. There is a difference.

For me, one song that stands out above all others is “Our Lady Peace – Not Enough”. Right now, I’m listening to “Audioslave – I Am The Highway” and I think it’s also pretty suitable but it doesn’t move me as much as the first song.

When they say
you're not that strong
Well you're not that weak
It’s not your fault
When you climb up to your hill
Up to your place
I hope you're well
There’s nothing left to prove
Nothing I won't do
Nothing like the pain
I feel for you
Nothing left to hide
Nothing left to fear
I am always here

It’s a big confidence booster for me for I’ve felt kind of down for the past month and it’s felt like an uphill struggle all this time. The song picks up at the right places and it’s sombre at the right places. Definitely ranks high up on my favourite songs. Then, there are the other two ever present songs “Black Lab – Gates of the Country” and “Pennywise – Instrumental”. All these songs either have the idea of a sole person fighting the odds or simply the music inspires hope.

Then again, when a person really tries, many things can ‘suit the situation’.

I’m finally free from university life and an unexpected surprise would be if I can really make it to Karachi for a wedding.

No matter how unemotional the person, there is always a stimulant that will stir the feelings of the person. The stimulant will cause such turmoil that certain emotions will rise and take precedence over all others. The effects will be a shiver running through the person’s body causing more sensation in that one moment than in recent memory. The capture of that single moment will lead to greater things and eventually the person will break his bindings to become human.

If you feel like you can associate with what I just said and a tingle really did run through your body, then it looks like my writing is more impressionable than I thought!