Recent Thoughts

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Arranged Thoughts

Well, before I get on to the main topic, I guess I should introduce a new character. She should have been brought into my topics so long ago but hey, better late than never, right?

Cue for “Sugar”. Some will get confused and think that I’ve already talked about her before. That was “Sabbi”. “Sugar” is “Sabbi’s” cousin who I’ve talked to quite often over the past few months. I’ve become good friends with her and it is not rare to look at my computer screen when I’m chatting and see a window open with her. So, “Sugar” does provide a new sort of fun compared to all the other people I enjoy talking to. Well, I could probably say a lot about her too but right now, she’s the source of my newest thought so I thought I’d mention her before moving on.

Ok, so we were discussing arranged marriages and contrary to the way a lot of western people think, neither of us are against it. Sure, we wouldn’t like to be stuck with someone we don’t even know for the rest of our lives, but then again, our parents are the ones choosing the partner. Our parents have always looked out for us and they’re not going to pick someone for us who they know we won’t like.

Sometimes I want to let my mum pick for me without questioning her motive. I feel I owe her so much that the least I could do is lay down my life in front of her and let her decide how I spend the rest of my life. I’m not asking her to make my life but I’m offering my life as a gift for what she’s helped it become. She’s already done so much to help me become who I am as a person, that it’ll be a nice way of saying that I believe in her opinion and that I trust her to make the right decision.

So, my grades haven’t been all that good. I need to make a change. To put it crudely, ‘Enough of this philosophical crap and let’s get settled back down in the real world’. I’ve got work to do and it’s going to be fun to be done with it.