Recent Thoughts

Saturday, January 15, 2005

The "Jackass" Strikes Back!

It’s an interesting experience getting hit by a car… I definitely recommend it to everyone.

For those few seconds before and after, things go quite differently. As soon as I got hit, I probably only slid across the hood for a split second but that was enough time for me to brace myself for the fall on to the asphalt. I remember being tossed about but everything was moving so fast that I didn’t see myself slide off. I still got my hands up after I rolled off the hood and skidded across the road.

That’s not the interesting part. It’s how fast you can think when you need to. It’s also how you seem to take in so much instantly. I noticed a car which WAS actually obeying the traffic light right along the road where I got hit. What’s more interesting is that I kind of saw me getting hit and rolling off from the point of view of the car driver. Still, nothing I would consider an out-of-body or even a near-death experience. None of that crap.

Right after I landed, the first thing I did was look at the pedestrian signal to confirm whether I did in fact have the right of way. In the same glance, I noticed a few other cars stopped at the intersection, I saw a paramedic van and I saw that I was in the hospital area anyway. That was in one glance. Almost instantly, I’m back up on my feet and I’m walking to where the car is.

It’s just amazing how fast you can think when it’s needed.

Now, the ire of “Jackass” was unsheathed. I’m not letting a car hit me without hitting it back. So, I got a couple of sponsors today to pay the fee (all proceeds go to charity, of course) and I walk up to a car that was meant to be trashed by engineers.

“Pick a weapon of your choice but don’t hit yourself with it”, said the guy in charge. Haha, I’m not taking any stupid weapon. Open the stupid door and I’m going to ram it. Fine! Since you insist, I’ll find a hardhat.

People are watching this idiot with a hardhat whereas none of the previous people had needed one. This guy really is an idiot. He hasn’t even got a weapon. Ok, he just opened the door and walked away. Wait… he stopped. He’s turning. Now he’s running at the door. Oh-kay, don’t know what he’s planning… ouch! He just tackled the door and smashed through it. This guy’s crazy.

Correction! This guy is “Jackass”. I shall take my revenge on cars and although I didn’t manage to break off the door, I did manage to bend it with my efforts.

So, compared to the day I got hit, car-smash day was a lot of fun. I had fun pretty much all throughout the day.

I would breathe a sigh of content, but I have a few poems to write. I’ll get cracking on them until I feel sleepy.