Recent Thoughts

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Addendum

I think the reason that people find it hard to believe that they are getting married or are married is because they are in shock. Seems quite an obvious statement, doesn’t it?

Sometimes, people build up the idea of marriage so much in their head about all that it means for them that they scare themselves and in some cases, they chicken out.

Then there are other people. They think about all the good things that they believe marriage has to offer them. Once they’re married, they can hardly believe that all the nice things that they’ve wished for and wanted for ages are finally coming true. They just can’t believe that they are finally going to get what they believe will give them so much happiness.

You’ll notice, I often quantify my words or write sentences as if some people are mistaken. Well, that’s because I don’t want to be like many other people and assume. I often talk about what others do and think – I’m fairly sure that I’m correct but I’m aware that there are exceptions. Quite often, I’m one of the exceptions.

Have you ever been in a friendship where you feel like there’s no firm footing? That you could say something and everything would go up in smoke? I guess that makes the other person quite hard to read. Or perhaps I’m just being dense and not taking it as it really is. A simple friendship. Once I realise that, things could sort themselves out. Of course, to leave no room for misunderstandings, a simple and open-hearted talk could clear all confusion.

I was just talking to “Sabbi” and she brought up a statement I made to her this past summer. I told her that I didn’t feel like our friendship was as good as it used to be a few years ago. It could just have been the distance between the two of us. However, I said that the whole reason we were good friends was because we used to share everything together. Every experience I had, she had soon after and vice versa. However, what I told her this summer was that I felt that she had jumped a few paces ahead and that was a barrier between the two of us.

That was quite a childish outlook. I couldn’t have expected her and me to walk the same pace through life forever. It wasn’t going to happen that way. She would have walked the path she was destined to follow and I would have made my own. Her path would have led to what her interests lie in and my path would lead me to a mouldable block of clay. I’d make my life whatever I want it to be.

Things change. I don’t like that. However, I’ve accepted it. I see changes occur but unless I’m a part of the changes, I suddenly feel disoriented. However, as I’ve become so fond of saying – It’s simple! You find your bearings and you go back to making your path.

The concept of finding humour in everything does not sit well with other people sometimes. It might be a big deal and the sight of me laughing is certainly not comforting. I suppose I should exercise discretion on my part. Keep the laughter to myself and a sympathetic face on the outside.

I don’t quite remember if I’ve mentioned it before (even I don’t read my own blogs) but I don’t know why people don’t think I open up. I share whatever I’m asked to share. I’m just not a conversationalist. I don’t know what to say. If someone wants me to share something, they’ll have to ask specifically. What reason would I have to hide it?

I find it amusing about how people still jump to conclusions about me. I suppose it’s partly my fault. Apparently, I don’t open up so they have to complete the stories that they THINK they partially know.

What’s with all the cryptic writing? Why don’t I take names? Well, sometimes I just don’t want people to know who I’m talking about. Either because I have my own reasons or because the person I’m talking about wants to maintain secrecy.