Recent Thoughts

Friday, September 23, 2005

Art Of Assumption

No matter how common it is, I still find it annoying when people make assumptions. It’s just not a reasonable thing to complete the story on your own when you only know half the story. When people proceed to then act on their wrong assumptions, things just get worse. You know that popular phrase – “Never Assume! You’ll make an ASS of U and ME!”

However, it is amusing to see people confidently claim they know the whole story and then proceed to use the story to state their opinions, advice or whatever. It’s just always so hard to figure out when to stop then and finally tell them that they’re wrong from the start. I guess that depends on how much you’re willing to embarrass them or annoy them.

I’ve been trying my hand a bit more at drawing. It’s simply not for me. I have no creativity and no skill. I spent roughly an hour sketching and came up with one measly model. “Banana Man” (I think he requested a name change, but I can’t remember it. I wonder if he would like “MF’er” but it’s too close to his real name) told me that I was using the wrong subject to start off with. It required too much detail.

However, with a few tips from “Cheshire Cat” and comments from people around me, I think I came up with something presentable. Certainly, it’ll be a long time before I can move on to making comical images. I probably won’t be drawing that long.

I asked “Cheshire Cat” to sketch a similar model using his style. It’s wicked watching him. He seems to just draw a lot of random lines with his pencil. Then he erases a certain few, emboldens some others and voila… it looks better than what I had. He only took 2 minutes! Oh blimey! Anyhow, take a look for yourself.