Recent Thoughts

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Love & Hate

Well, I think I’ll talk about it now. I just want some people to realise that talking about love doesn’t necessarily mean that I am in love. Maybe I am and maybe I’m not. Don’t bother asking me.

One of my group projects this semester is designing a website and while we were choosing a topic, we realised that we couldn’t really define a term that is entirely subjective depending on who is thinking about it. It’s the same way for love. I’m going to talk about it from a guy’s point of view since it’ll make it easier for me to write without having to keep going him/her etc.

By the way, there’s a certain someone who I hope is reading this and might perhaps change his/her mind.

Unconditionally loving someone makes you want that person to be by your side at all times. Of course, some people will argue that eventually you’ll want your space but when you really think about how much you love that person, you’ll realise that you still want that person to be with you. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing. You’d just like to have that person with you and sharing in what you’re doing. Whether it’s shopping, doing the dishes, cleaning up the house, watching a movie or even sitting on a sofa, I don’t think there could be anything better than having your loved one right there in your arms or working alongside you.

When you’re without the one you love, you just can’t help feel lonely. You want that person to come back and you want to cuddle up in each others’ arms. It can’t be anyone else. You can’t replace your loved one. You love your partner and your partner loves you. That alone gives you two the right to be together.

Then again, when you two finally meet, it’s one of the happiest moments that you’d be able to think of. To finally be able to walk up to her and give a big gigantic hug that you’ve been dying to give her and feel all your desires and wants leaving you because you finally have her with you and feel complete one more time. Once again, you can sit with your arm around her, hold her hand or run your fingers through your hair.

Seeing couples together is not a weird sight for me. However, for a year or two now, I’ve looked at them and wondered just how happy they are together and how much fun they are having. It’s something that makes me think that I too should have that. Just because of how much enjoyment it brings to their lives.

Then there are the sides of me that know that I would not be the best boyfriend. I’m running on the assumption that my parents are truly as open to their sons having relationships as they told us they are. I don’t think I’d open up enough to make her think that she’s sharing my life with me. I know that at times, I’ll be too cold or rude and will end up hurting her. Yet, I have hope. That when I love someone so much, changes will come about automatically and I’ll be a better person. Still, this change should have come around already since I have my family to change for.

I took a survey once which said that I show friendship, love and trust through actions. I guess that’s why it means so much to me that I be with my loved one at all times. I want to be able to sit so close to her that with each breath, her neck tingles, she gets a shiver down her spine and her hair gently blows around. That is, until one or the other limb goes numb and I have to get up and get the circulation going again. I want to be able to do that and hope that even though I won’t always be able to say it, my actions would prove that I love her so much that if she ever disappeared even for a short time (like to go to work), I’d feel that a large part of me had left.

All this sounds like I’m lovesick. I’m well aware that things won’t turn out the way that I mentioned them. Both of us would be busy and would not have time to just sit around next to each other everyday. Eventually, we’d tire of just sitting in silence beside each other and being wrapped up in our own thoughts. That’s where the television comes in. Grr!
This is for the person I mentioned at the start:

It means a lot to have someone love you unconditionally and be there for you at all times whether you ask for help or not. Just having their company and care will make you realise that you’re loved so much and it’s all that you would ever need.

It’s easy to say that you don’t want to get married just because it’s expected of you. It’s also easy to say that you don’t need to get married because you don’t feel like you need anyone or that there’s just nothing about the other gender that appeals to you. You have a really biased view and it might be justified but I’d say that you should open up your mind and realise that there are so many different people who are proof that not all members of the gender are hopeless.

You do know people who are great. They are/were good friends of yours and you always used to tell me that they were just amazing. I really doubt that there are more amazing people out there who you could fall in love with.

I don’t quite know what to say. I don’t know how you made your decision or what your reasons are for it. Nor do I know whether you could be convinced to change your mind.

The biggest reason that I would be against marriage is because it’s expected. It’s what everyone does and just because of that, I wouldn’t want to do it. I’m not saying that’s your reason.

That’s how I always am. I don’t like doing what others naturally expect of me and I don’t like doing what everyone loves to do. Except, I’m not stupid. No matter how much I talk about resisting the general opinion and standing up against society, I know that

A) You don’t do that when there’s nothing to be gained from it and when it’s for your own benefit. In this case, you’d be missing out on a great experience and a wonderful addition to your life. It would truly enrich and help improve your life. Of course, if you’re willing to compromise.

B) You don’t argue points that have no value or reason. You just end up alienating yourself from everyone.

I don’t want to follow the path everyone does because I believe that it’s crippling. I’ve said it often, “The day you stop yourself from doing something because of society’s expectations is the day you stop living your own life.”

If I really wish to change the world for the better, I can’t turn everyone against me. It’s a matter of compromise. I have to show that I’m no different from them except I have a dream for a better future that I’m actually willing to work hard for.

I guess I’m drifting from my topic of love. I’m on to hate now.

I hate how people are scared to do things because they don’t want society to react badly. I hate how our own people don’t respect our country because it’s not the best in the world. However, people always find it easier to complain than to compliment. Given the choice, I doubt any of these people would prefer to have been raised in these “great countries”.

Simply because there are so many people who’d prefer to make easy money (clean or dirty) in our country, most of the hard-working people have decided that there’s no point of even trying and instead, leave for better opportunities. I just wish they’d realise that perhaps they should stop being selfish and thinking about themselves. How about doing what the ancestors of these “great countries” did? Stay and work hard. Work with the other smart people. Make a difference and improve the situation.

I don’t live in fear of my roots. I proudly tell people where I’m from. Except, I’m cautioned all the time that being too proud is just likely to bring me trouble. On one hand, I don’t want to just believe everything I’m told because I’m know all too well that most of the time, things aren’t always as people say they are. On the other hand, I don’t want to end up incapacitated simply because I talked big.

On the first hand, it’s the only way to make changes. You stand up tall and you make big moves. Things set in concrete cannot be changed by simply pecking away at them. You need to give it a mighty blow to set it asunder.

I guess the best way would be to start off quietly and work your way up. In to a place where people look up to you and know that you wisely speak the undiluted truth. It’s no secret. That’s how things work. To change the system, you need to understand the system.

For now, I’m young and happy. I can focus on what I need to do – Give myself the tools to get to that revered place.

But to my friend, I wish to ask you. Please think about your decision. Explain to me how you made your decision. Just to set my mind at rest.