Recent Thoughts

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Memories

It’s interesting how sometimes you don’t see anyone for days on end and when you finally do, you keep bumping into them. They just seem to be there almost every time you turn a corner.

Another not-so-interesting fact is how shirts will always tend to rip even when the collar is opened wide enough for your head to fit through! What’s up with that?

Although living at home has its own feeling of comfort, there’s no academic aura floating around like there is at dorms. Oh yes, it’s there. You have to be sensitive to it. Be able to pick it out of the odour of alcohol and the spark of partying. There’s always someone working and when you see that person working, you’re motivated to work as well, simply because you feel guilty and realise that you could be doing something too.

Another part of not living on the dorms is that you don’t feel like part of the community anymore. You’re isolated. You need to make frequent trips just to remain a member but there just hardly seems to be anyway for you to hold on to your leadership positions.

The worst part about living on your own is that there’s little interaction. At the dorms, I could always go talk to someone and since there were so many students, I could talk to different people whenever I pleased. Living with just one person is fine. However, there’s no variety of character.

I was listening to a trance song today that a friend had recommended back when I was a frosh. Every time that song played on my computer, my roommate would do a funny dance where he’d sort of jerkily push his hands down repeatedly. Things like that always make me smile when I think about them.

About all the pranks I played on the people there and all the fun that we had doing random things, whether it was playing dodge ball in the corridors, riding rogue trolleys around or simply practising different attacking moves on each other and exploring counter-attacks.

There were all the times that floor-friends would be hanging out in my room during first year and we’d be able to come up with the funniest things to talk about. The best part of it was that we always got a lot of work done during those times. We all had similar courses. We worked together, laughed together, helped each other and we had a blast.

There are some songs that are just hilarious to listen to. “O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei” is one of them. It’s a Romanian song which is funny enough to hear but side-splitting when you watch a parody video of it.

Then there’s a song that’s innately happy. “Men Without Hats – Pop Goes The World”. It kind of makes you want to smile and kind of shake to the music.

Songs like “Rammstein – Du Hast” have awesome guitar riffs in them. The oomph in them seems to empower you.

I don’t really have anything to say. Was just reminiscing and wanted a record of what I was thinking. A few friends from my classes are going away for a Professional Year (or thinking about it). Even though I won’t have too many similar classes with them next year, it’s just a sad thought to think that if they leave, then this is the last year that I’ll be spending with them as students. I’ve got to remember to stay in touch with them.

Oh! I drew something! I can’t draw at all and the fact that I managed to come up with something that can be recognised is a huge feat! I admire the people who can draw. It’s certainly an art worth picking up.