Recent Thoughts

Monday, October 17, 2005

Life's Simple, Right?

I know this person who I feel has a problem with confidence. I understand where this person’s coming from and why (s)he feels that way but there are times when I feel that (s)he’s refusing to accept his/her past and move on.

When I hear his/her friends comment on his/her problems, I smile because they are being encouraging but not helpful. “Good job” or whatever but there has hardly ever been anything they’ve said that I feel could help this person. Granted, these people are probably doing more than I am. However, I’m not qualified to help.

I guess I’m not as understanding as I used to think I was. I used to look at issues from everyone’s point of view and I’d have a comprehension of how they’d look at it. This issue is just far out of my grasp, I suppose.

In this case, I just feel that the only thing left that holds this person back is his/her mind. (S)He hasn’t been able to let go of his/her past and for that reason, the problem still consumes him/her.

I wish I knew how to help but I don’t. I don’t think my help is required anyway. Anyhow, I don’t know what this person is going through and I’m not close enough to him/her to merit knowing how this person feels.

Life’s simple, right? You have a part of the past that lingers when you want it to disappear? You move on!

Life’s simple, right? You have a friend who you wish you could help but you can’t get close enough to do that? Talk to the friend. There are no barriers when it comes to helping each other.

Life’s simple, right? Your best friend thinks that after you left high school, you’ve become the very person that you’d never want to be? Talk to the friend. The better the friend, the more your old self will shine through the shroud formed in the absence of the friend’s company.

Life’s simple, right? You’ve got a problem? Smile at yourself in the mirror. Not a small one - A nice toothy one. Or find me. I’ll cheer you up. I used to be great at making people feel great without even knowing about the problem. It’s still inside me, I’m sure of that. I just need to care again. Come to me people. I’m being sincere. I am truly approachable with all types of problems no matter how well you know me.

Life’s simple, right? Your life seems to be a brick road with each stone marking a problem? Well, under the paved stones lies the soft sand which helps your problems feel like just what they are. Take a handful of sand. Open your fist. Sand will begin to slip through your fingers. Or you can clench your fist and sand will squeeze out. Either way, an effort is made. Learn to let go of your problems or to show determination and grit.

Life’s simple, right? Right!