Recent Thoughts

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Pogue Mahone!

Life’s going peachy keen. Everything’s going really well and I think that I’m actually on top of my work. There’s always more work to be done but that’s the life of an engineer. I can’t expect to be taking frequent breaks. The good thing is that I understand everything in my classes and I can keep up.

Even constantly working is not getting to me. I’ve sort of found the right combination of distractions and work which lets me get through everything really efficiently without losing focus of my work.

I’ve noticed quite a lot of interesting things over the past month. Firstly, you’re not alone in the world. No matter how much you think that you’ve experienced something in the world, there’s probably someone out there who has been through the same. I can stand on the subway and notice several people showing similar traits to me. We’re probably quite different from each other but in that aspect, we are almost the same.

There’s an Irish pub near the subway stop where I get off and transfer to the streetcar. I wonder if the general Toronto public know the meaning of the pub’s name. It’s called “Pogue Mahone”. Now if my Irish lessons serve me well, that translates to “Kiss My Arse!” Yet, hundreds of people walk by that pub seemingly oblivious of that fact.

I normally transfer to the streetcar around 15 minutes before the hour. The annoying part is that the streetcar is almost always full or takes forever in arriving. Frequent service? Yeah right! I found out that if I start walking at the same time as a packed streetcar, I’ll arrive at the stop I would usually get off at, just before the streetcar pulls up. I need to figure out something else.

I feel really rushed these days. Everything has fallen into a routine. I get an average of 5 hrs of sleep a night. I go to all my classes, I come back and I sit at my desk and I work for the remainder of the day. There are the usual breaks. Eating and gym time but that’s pretty much it.

It’s good in a way that I’ve got a groove to work with. However, I want a bit of change. I just feel like there’s no time for that though.

Even right now, I think I should be doing something but when I think about it, I’m kind of at a blockade for the moment. I need to wait till tomorrow to get back on the tracks and keep going.

I didn’t really have anything to talk about. The “Pogue Mahone” thing kept striking me so I decided to put that up. That’s all for now.

If you want to find me, I’ll most likely be at King’s College Park having fun!