Recent Thoughts

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Grape Punch

I had a couple of things enter my mind last night just before I fell asleep but I can’t remember what they are anymore. I think one of them was about getting people to do what you want.

Manipulation is a big part of life. People want to get their way so they play mind games or they back the other person into a corner until they yield. I think I do it often. Nothing sinister or evil. I do what it takes to make sure things work out well. I guess I have a low opinion of the general public. Most of my experiences point towards them being complete idiots. I know that’s not true since they are still living and many people have successful or good lives. Yet, they seem to be lacking basic common sense when it comes to simple things like walking!

A trick I learnt in fencing was to advance on your opponent and back them towards the end of the piste. Once there, you could perform a check-step forward which is where you start taking a step back but quickly lunge. The point being that your opponent is cornered and about to be penalised for going out of bounds. Give them a way out and they’ll go for it. Except, it’s a deception and while they are moving forward, you’re going for a lunge (if you’re quick enough). End result? You just nicked your opponent.

That’s a form of manipulation. You corner them and then provide them with an escape route. The person goes for it but you’ve sprung your trap and nailed them. I believe some hunters do this with their quarry when trying to capture them alive. They surround the prey and provide a way out. The animal darts through it but runs in to a netting or snare of some sort.

You’ve just had your first lesson in Manipulation 101. This could be applied for personal gain – such as getting a girl, if that’s your thing.

As “Puff” once told me, “Nothing makes a guy more appealing to a girl than letting her know that he’s not interested in relationships”. They want to be the one that changes this person’s mind, shows them the good of relationships.

I went to the dentist’s today just for a regular check-up and cleaning. I definitely prefer a female dentist to a male one because I remember how my male dentist in Dubai would be sweating inside his latex gloves. With his hands poking around in my mouth, I’d get close-ups of the sweat pools under the glove!

It wasn’t my regular dentist today. It was a recent graduate. She was half-Japanese and half-French. I think it made a very nice combo. French looks with Japanese eyes. She had bright eyes.

A difficulty of being in the chair is that the dentist wants to be friendly and talk to you. But that’s hard when you have to keep your mouth open. And they are very nice people and easy to talk to, but then you’re also thinking that you should be asking about them too – except you’re not really sure what to ask.

Dentists have a good memory – last time I went there was 6 months ago but when I’m talking to them, they remember everything I’ve ever told them. “I remember you asked about this procedure – are you still interested?” or “You’re doing your last year of engineering, right?” or “You must be loving the weather – you’re fond of the cold, aren’t you?” They remember my name, who I’m living with, that I’m the youngest and that my mom visits every so often. Remarkable!

While you’re in the dentist’s chair, you can’t do much – just sit there with your mouth open. So, you want to look around. Except, the light is right above you meaning you need to look left or right. Often, the dentist is peering right over you, which means that your only option is to look at him / her. That’s how I noticed she had very nice eyes. It was all I could see behind her mask anyway but yeah, the eyes were nice.

Dentistry certainly has changed. All these new procedures. My fluoride treatment gave me a choice of flavours!! I still have a grape-y flavour on my lips. Looks like I’ll be experiencing this again in 6 months.