Recent Thoughts

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Eternal Slumber

I only have 20 odd minutes before I have to go to bed but I figured that I’ll quickly write something. Every time my blog has come to mind over the past year or so, the more I’ve realised that it holds very little value to me and that I have little motivation to continue it. However, it is my only source of literary creativity until I can return to writing my story.

When it comes to deciding on the future of my blog, I think about shutting it down. Then I wonder about just leaving it up but not updating it. And if all else fails, I could always do the damned and make it into an amateur photo blog.

Sleep has been an issue wandering through my mind these days. I’ve often talked about my sleeping habits but they appear to have changed slightly. I’m still a very light sleeper and I still need very little sleep but I’ve noticed recently how my sleeping habits have changed to reflect my attitude towards sleep… i.e. it’s a waste of time!

Given my day-to-day schedules, I can get however many hours of sleep as I wish. Since the recommendations are for 8 hours 15 minutes, I aim for that. Yet, I find myself waking up after 6 hours and every half hour from that point on. The first thought that always goes through my mind as soon as I wake up, is to check the time. A quick glance and I’ve instantly calculated how much longer before I’ve completed the recommended hours or before I absolutely must get up. When I was in high-school, I loved the feeling of waking up in an air-conditioned room, all snug and cosy under my blanket and then realising I still had more time to sleep. Now, as soon as I wake up, I’m thinking that I could get out of bed immediately but should make my body rest some more.

I think it would be interesting to spend a few days of my vacation operating on my own internal clock. To ignore what the clocks say and just sleep when I’m dead tired. Then wake up when I’m refreshed regardless of how many hours I’ve slept. If my body accepts that routine, then I’ll appreciate having the extra hours of the day available to me.

There were times when I used to lie down in to bed, absolutely exhausted. Knowing that I could finally rest was such a lovely feeling! Snuggling in to bed and feeling my entire body relax and go loose. Shortly after, I’d be fast asleep. Now, I don’t feel that tiredness anymore. No matter how many hours I’ve been awake, I still feel wide awake when I lie down to go to sleep. I have to make myself lie down to sleep otherwise it feels like I could keep going. I have to force my body to relax and even then, I’m calculating the time that I could wake up and the time by which I should be up.

It’s a good thing, one would think. Not having to feel tired anymore. I agree – not being tired means I can kick the Energiser bunny’s butt! Yet, that feeling was nice. To take a deep breath and enjoy knowing that the day is over and all’s done! I wouldn’t give up this endless energy for a pleasant feeling.

Anyhow, my 20 minutes are up.